Executive Contributor Brainz Magazine

Eric Gershey

CEO & Founder of Nine2Five Job Search

Read more

Five impressive things to do when you start a New Job

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Five impressive things to do when you start a New Job
    #2458
    Mohsin Raza
    Participant

    View starting a New Job as an Exercise in Personal Branding.

    Make no mistake, you will be judged based on how you show up at work. Your work is your brand—as is your general demeanor, reliability in showing up for meetings or completing projects on time, and the way you dress.

    Chill Out

    News flash: You got the job! Studies have proven that anxiety is contagious. Starting a new job is exciting for you, but it’s just another day at the office for everyone else. Be calm and strive to match the energy and pace of the office environment, even if it’s different than yours. Once you are known, you can go at your own pace, but until then, don’t be the hyper-anxious person everyone intuitively wants to avoid.

    Use The 70/30 Rule

    It suggests that 70% of the time you ask questions and inquire about how things work. Then, the other 30% of the time, share background on yourself so people get to know you and how you think. If you monopolize the conversation by talking about yourself too much, people may mistake it for arrogance, or alternatively for trying too hard.

    Do Your Homework

    People who want to hit the ground running have already done the preliminary research to understand the bigger context of what their new organization does, why, and how prior events informed the current practices. In between being hired and starting a new job, they find someone at the organization—often a hiring manager or a peer who reports to the same person—to exchange a few emails with to get up to speed.

    Pay Attention to Company Culture

    Learn about the environment not by what people say they are going to do, or what they say they value, but by watching what people actually do. How are customers treated? How does the company engage the hearts and minds of the employees? Are policies implemented and enforced consistently, and if not—why not?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related topics